Doing plumbing fixes on your own can many times lead to more problems. You may have performed simple plumbing tasks like fixing a leaking faucet- but this does not qualify you to do bigger plumbing jobs. Bigger plumbing issues should be performed by a certified and highly-trained plumber.
Plumbing projects you shouldn’t Jimmy Rig
- Remodeling your kitchen or bathroom. Rooms without plumbing are a lot easier to renovate than rooms with. To ensure that you and your home are safe during a kitchen or bathroom remodel, hire a plumbing contractor. They will be more familiar with building codes and permits; and will be more prepared if/when complications arise.
- Installing a major appliance. Water heaters, dishwashers, refrigerators and washing machines all require a plumbing hook up. To make sure that they are installed correctly, leave it to the expert.
- Leaking pipes. Tightening up the pipe yourself might be for your first impulse; but an incorrect repair on a leaky pipe would not only result in continuous water loss, it can become hazardous to the environment. Mold starts to grow as the water leaks and household surfaces get moisture residue.
Plumbing projects you can DIY
- Replacing a faucet. Many times, when you move into a new house, one of your first projects is to replace outdated faucets. This is a relatively easy project. A new faucet can be purchased at any hardware store, and some even come with directions.
- Changing the hose of your washing machine. The hose of modern washing machines is susceptible to bursting, and that could lead to a flooded basement or home. These should get replaced every 5 years. If you’re feeling confident, this is something you can do yourself.
- Unclogging a drain. Whether it’s hair in the shower, food in the kitchen sink or a full toilet; there are items you can purchase to unclog your drain. If your first few attempts fail, you are most likely dealing with a bigger issue and it’s time to call a professional.
Trying to be a Jimmy Rig expert may be your initial reaction, but you need to think again. Ask yourself – Are you confident enough to fix the problem? Do you understand anything about plumbing? If not, don’t attempt to fix the plumbing problem. Call American Air instead and you get the assurance of having a qualified plumber to fix your plumbing problems.